We then went to the notary. Okay, it’s hot and muggy here, but
just doable enough so that I’ve never got much more than a little perspiration
going. We start up the stairs and at each floor I keep being surprised because
we keep going. Finally at the fifth floor we arrive. So I’m already
uncomfortably hot from the mini workout. Then the room is a small office where
there is just too much for little hands to get at. At one point LB is trying to
get something and I stop him. Of course, as is his SOP, he throws a bit of a
temper tantrum. Immediately the people in the office start scrambling to get
him something. Next thing I’m being handed two Werther’s Originals. Hard candy,
not something I feel comfortable giving a two year old who’s walking around,
but even more important, I truly do not want to reward this behavior. I want to
break it. So I have to say thanks but no thanks to the offer. I think they
thought I was a horrible person based on the looks I was given (and in China
they are never people to refrain from looking at you, okay, probably a better
word would be stare. Every culture is different!) Anyhow, let’s just suffice it
to say that little incident didn’t help to cool the air down for me any.
After that, we had a couple hours back at the hotel in which
we Skyped and got some stuff to eat and then we met a different guide, Mr. Liu,
down in the lobby to go to the police station where they take care of all the
passports. In waiting for the man from the orphanage to get to the police
station, Mr. Liu decided to go take us over to a place to get the half dozen or
so pictures we needed for the passport process. Of course, this takes a bit of
time as they have to have LB in just the exact position to get the exact photo
they need, not really something you should expect from a two year old. Finally
they are satisfied and we get to get up from all the picture taking. LB is
walking around and starting to be a bit of a grump. At one point they stop him
from getting something they don’t want him to have and again he throws a bit of
an attitude. Now at this point, you need to realize we are well into nap time
and I am happy he is doing as well as he is. A while later I was holding him
and turned him so he was cradled in my arms. In about 30 seconds he
was gone (kind of like he was right now when I laid him down for a nap!). Once we finished there, we went back to the Police Station. I’m struggling to
hold this sweaty sleeping baby while trying to get paperwork out of my
backpack, trying to sign things (it’s kind of like buying a house, just spread
out over a longer time period), etc. Then the gal helping us wants to take his
picture. Are you serious? You want me to waken this sleeping baby for a
picture? Let’s just say once I tried waking him we had to leave the room for a while. Finally, I decided
to try giving him some water to see if that would settle him. It worked
briefly, just until we went back in to try the picture again. Then he started
melting again. Please Lord?! I try the water thing again and this kid who, once
he is done with something makes it very clear he won’t have anything more to do with that item,
actually goes for a second drink. In the brief pause after the drink we were
able to get him in position and slip in a quick picture that was satisfactory.
Thanks Lord!!
Since we’re nearby, we take another trip to WalMart and
stock up on all sorts of different items, including several which just looked good, but we weren’t sure what they were. So far they’ve all
been winners! I just finished some sort of peach milk thingy. Sweet, but very
tasty and refreshing. As we left we some of the dancing that was occuring on three of
the four corners of this one intersection, a very interesting Chinese
phenomenon. And then finally back to the
hotel room for a very late night.
T-shirt saying of
the day, Peace Free Keep Heart.
Aww man.. I can SOOO relate!!! I felt like we were constantly in those same positions when V first came to live with us! Fits all the time, everywhere, never ceasing... At least we didn't have to deal with all of this stuff in a foreign country though! What a joy though to see three of your boys together! Sounds like you're doing just fine there pops without the little wifey! :)
ReplyDelete