Ephesians 1:5

"He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will."

Monday, June 11, 2012

On the home front..."The Taming of the Two"

Back on the homefront we are eagerly awaiting the return of our family.  We Skype twice a day, so LB is very familiar with us.  He says our names and loves to say "bye-bye."  Now he's added "wuv you" to his repertoire, to my great satisfaction . 

So how have the WTs been? Well, quite good, in large part, generally speaking, on the whole, with all things being considered.  Have we had our difficult moments? Uh, yeah, you could say that.  I think I should get a medal for all the victories I've won in the great "Battle of the Wills."  Those were some hard won victories.  You know, however, that they must be victories.  Sometimes I fantasize about being one of those moms you see in the grocery store that, after "counting to three" 4-5 times, finally gives in to her whining child "just this once."  But then that fantasy turns into a nightmare with my kids as guests on "The Jerry Springer Show" or "Dr. Phil." Thus, I press on.
If you've never been a fan of the "Superfriends" cartoon, which aired Saturday mornings, you might be unfamiliar with the original "Wonder twins."  Here is a clip on YouTube of the original WTs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktUx57i63e0

I had an instance recently in which not one, but both of the WTs turned themselves into octupi (or octopuses or octopodes, all are now acceptable according to Mirriam-Webster http://boingboing.net/2010/07/27/octopuses-octopi-oct.html) (instead of an ice unicyle, which don't we all own?).  I took the WTs and C to the 99cent store (since we can't afford the dollar store, kidding, though this China trip is costing us) and forgot to have "the behavior talk" (BT) before entering.  Of course there were lots of people there and the WTs activated and took the form of octopodes, touching everything in sight.  I hastily gave a condensed version of the BT (also called the thinly veiled threat or TVT) and things improved.

The next time I took the WTs to the store, we had dropped off C at her karate lesson and I gave the BT before we entered the grocery store.  Well wouldn't you know, the WTs activated and took the form of well-behaved children!  They were helpful and stayed by the cart and I could see people casting admiring glances our way.  I would smile and then mutter under my breath, "Don't we have you all fooled???"  I could just imagine this conversation: Person 1: "I saw this lady in the grocery store who had two toddlers and they were so well-behaved! The mom must really know what she's doing."  Person 2:  "Really? I saw this crazy lady with two octopuses in the 99cent store, and somebody better take the keys to her zoo away from her!"

I gave M's belly a name because it seems to have a personality of its own (the sibs have given K's belly the name "Bessie").  M's belly's name is "George."  The other day M came back into the kitchen after dinner had been over for a while and announced "I don't feel well.  I ate too much and now George is full.  George is sad now."  The next night when M was about to have dessert, I reminded him not to eat too much so George wouldn't get sad.  M became very animated and said emphatically, "No, it's okay.  George likes being full.  He likes tummy aches.  He can rest for a little while longer, so it's okay."  I guess 5 minute mug cake is worth the trouble.  Here is the recipe, you judge for yourself.  (http://www.food.com/recipe/5-minute-chocolate-mug-cake-354827  Let me just warn you that a good friend of mine put the blame on me (for giving her this recipe) when her doctor told her she was putting on too many pregnancy pounds.  Dangerous stuff, it is.



No comments:

Post a Comment