Kara is two! She spent a pretty normal day (normal taking on a completely different meaning now) unaware of the significance of this birthday. It's hard to believe we've been home for a little over two weeks. So what's happened over these two weeks? Lots! Too much to include in this post since, as usual, it is getting very late and smart people are in bed already and I am not a smart people.
We have taken her to the dentist to see about her stained teeth. They are much better after consistent brushing, so the torture is paying off. The dentist was able to clean the top four before Kara started to fuss. He recommended we use "Topol" toothpaste, which is for smokers (hmm, so is that why her growth is stunted?).
We have been dealing with her aggression toward Micah, the aggression coming as a surprise to us. He is starting to fight back and we now have the battle to become the alpha twin and achieve tot domination. They have very different methods of warfare. Micah goes in covertly, attacks, and then beats a hasty retreat. Kara does the "shock and awe." She goes at it fully, those noodle arms flailing trying to hit the intended target. Her most deadly weapon: her teeth. Now in all fairness, if I had a life-size marshmallow walking around me all the time, provoking me, I might take a bite too.
Things have gotten better and they seem to, on occassion, enjoy each other's company. Micah has learned to say "Kah-ra" in a cute sing songy way. He will also walk over to her and hand her her water cup, though the skeptic in me is sure he is laughing internally, knowing he has backwashed in her cup. I did catch them high fiving each other in the hallway one time (I think that might have been after they figured out how to turn on the dishwasher).
Lots more has happened, to recap: I accidentally shaved the side of James' hair; we left Micah outside alone everyone thinking the other had him; I dropped and broke my China (made in Japan) pepper shaker next to Kara causing her to sneeze the rest of the day; I took all five to the library (really bad move, not recommended for the faint of heart) and got my first "wow, are these all your kids?" comment; went for her first check-up and had it confirmed that, yes indeed, she is a little peanut; not counting the same people coming twice, we have had 43 guests in our house since we came back from China.
Ah yes, life at its new normal. Embrace the chaos is my new mantra. That and, "Life is short, eat dessert first." What words of wisdom.
Oh yes, eat dessert first, particularly when you have to go on "dinner quests"! I had fun "bonding" with Kara on Sunday :-).
ReplyDelete