Monday 10pm
Today Shiyan took our documents to the American consulate to apply for Kara's visa. Even though our adoption is complete, Kara will not be an American citizen until we touch down in SF. Hence, the need for a visa. We already have her passport which has her Chinese name on it. We will want to readopt her in the US so that we can have a birth certificate in English (I think she will thank us for that later). As an aside, Shiyan was passing out documents to the various families here and was calling out our kids' Chinese names. For the most part we could pick out our kids' names, but she read a particular name several times and no one responded. James was standing next to her, looked at the name and said it out loud "American style." Instantly someone said, "Oh, that's us." I also found out that Kara's given name was "Tong," but as a nickname was called "Tongtong."
We had a free day today; with the exception of checking to make sure we did not have a message from Shiyan on our phone. We were very glad to be without a blinking red light. That means that all our paperwork should be in order (please oh please oh please). We spent the morning talking to friends and to the kids. Wow, Micah looks absolutely gi-normous! We used to say he was like a "bull in a China shop." Now we'll have to say he is like a "bull in a from China shop." We keep apologizing to Kara that her wonder twin is a dirt-eating-Viking-sumo wrestler.
James stayed back with Kara during her nap and I roamed the island. I went out shopping for diapers and wandered into a little shop just to look around. The shopkeeper followed me around and we talked about the merchandise. I said, "Oh I'm just looking, I can come back tomorrow." Immediately I realized that I had probably initiated the haggle launch sequence, so I said, "I'm just shopping for diapers right now." Whew, okay, stand down. Haggle thrusters deactivated.
I must say that I do miss the good old Hypermart. The only place to get groceries on the island is 7-11. Yes, they do have a 7-11 here as well as a Starbucks and a Subway. Since we have a buffet breakfast and do dinner with our group, it has been our practice since we got to China is to have a really light lunch of something like yogurt and Cheerios. After all, even though I am bringing back a child, I don't need to look like I am bearing a child. Unfortunately it's slim pickings at the ol' 7-11. I can get various kinds of curry at 7-11, but no dice on the Cheerios.
Shiyan had arranged for our group to have a "Chinese meal" in which she would choose the dishes and we would pay a flat price. She assured us that she would be "conservative" in her choices. As we walked into the restaurant and looked at some of the seafood being sold outside (including lovely little eels that were slithering in a tub), I wondered what her idea of "conservative" was. I needn't have worried. The food was very good and closer to what we have in the states. Apparently because we are in southern China where many people speak Cantonese, the food we have is Cantonese which is what we have back home. Still, we have yet to see our traditional fare of "lemon chicken" or kung pao chicken." We also have yet to receive a single fortune cookie, which makes me suspicious as to the origin of that dessert. I can safely say we did not consume any pig's feet, ostrich kidneys, or sheep placenta soup as seen on some menus.
As much as we are looking forward to getting home, I will say I will miss being here. Not because of the hotel (okay, full disclosure – I enjoy having my meals cooked for me and I do like someone else making my bed), but because of the very unique community we are in right now. As I've said, everywhere you look there are adoptive families. We could have our own Chinese kid kibbutz. It is very easy to strike up a conversation with people when you know they are going through the same thing (with some variations) you are. We sometimes try to best each other with who has been waiting the longest. We win that match a lot, but have been definitely beaten by some. I imagine it is what it's like when veterans get together and swap war stories or moms get together and swap birth stories (in that we try to best each other to see who had the longest labor, I can win that one sometimes too…thanks a lot Micah).
Alright, confession time. I have been having a struggle with hair envy. Not envying it for myself, as I have plenty, but for my daughter. I have seen lots of little girls with lots of hair. Shiyan told us that she asked some orphanages not to shave the girls' hair in the summer because they were going to be adopted. Well apparently Beijing missed that memo, and someone put a #2 on an electric razor and went to town on my daughter's head. Consequently, we get asked if Kara is a boy or girl. Now mind you, the clothes I put on her would not be what I consider gender neutral nor should there be any gender ambiguity in their appearance. We still get asked that question and I am sure I look like I am either deaf or without sense as I look at the questioner, pause, look down at my daughter who is bedecked in a floral lavender outfit accented by lavender bows, look back at them with a "you have got to be kidding me" look, and say "girl." To which they act surprised and say "Oh! A girl! How nice."
Tomorrow the two planned events of the day are getting Kara another pair of shoes (sans squeakers) and a visit to the American Consulate to take an oath. That is a very important visit and if we are late, we will not be allowed in. That would be very bad indeed.
By the way, I saw the lady who I was "killing and taking her salary" from the other night. She looked quite well, so I said hello to her and said I would be back tomorrow (insert maniacal chuckle, followed by an emoticon happy face).
Can't wait to meet my new niece! I was wondering about her hair and figured they keep it short in the orphanage. When Janet got pictures of her son from foster care, he was always dressed in pink, so ya never know! Saw your kids in real life the other day. I really need to hear the story on Daniel's hair. Better be careful, he may get whiplash dealing with his new style. I thought he had some kind of tick! Love yas!
ReplyDelete