Ephesians 1:5

"He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will."

Friday, October 28, 2011

Micah decorates his room, All the world's a stage for Kara, Fire at the Froisland's

Yeah, yeah, pictures...now we have a new computer, but I haven't figured out how to download pictures.  I'm not even making promises anymore.  You'll just be pleasantly surprised when they surface.

Before we had kids, we would hear parents tell stories and we'd say to ourselves, "Our kids would NEVER do that!"  Since we've had kids, we never say that anymore.  Okay, let's change that to: since we've had WTs, we never say that anymore.

Micah apparently has decided he wants to get into interior design.  He decided to decorate his room one day during naptime.  It was quiet in his room, so of course, the silly silly people that we are, we thought he was actually napping.  That fantasy of ours ended when Daniel came downstairs and said, "Micah's door is open and it really stinks in his room!"  James and I (yes, James was actually home for this one) rolled our eyes and figured we needed to change his diaper.  No state of alarm until James overheard Charis comment to Daniel, "Oh, so that's why it smelled.  Yeah, I saw brown stuff all over Micah's hands."  With that, James bolted upstairs.

Let me interrupt the narrative here to say that James and I had been occupied because we were expecting company in an hour.  I was working on dinner, and he was tidying up some paperwork.  So if you didn't catch this earlier, this was an hour before our guests were due.

I was hoping that Charis was exaggerating when she spoke of the brown stuff being "all over his hands" until I heard James exclaim, "Oh my goodness!" I tried to pretend I didn't hear that, but very soon after that I was summoned upstairs.  When I got to Micah's room, I thought it looked like a crime scene.  I actually considered calling one of those companies that clean up after crime scenes.  And a crime had been committed alright, a crime against Micah's parents' humanity (and senses of smell) since they had to do the cleaning up.

From what we could gather from the copious amount of evidence left behind, Micah decided to free himself from the constraints of his diaper and from what it contained.  Then he choose to express himself by taking his "paint" and using his room and all it contained as his canvas.  I'll stop there with the details since this is a family blog and anything more would not be for the faint of heart.  Suffice it to say, it took an hour to clean up, our guests were on time, but dinner was late.  Not that we really had an appetite anymore anyway.

I think I've mentioned before that Kara has a thing for shoes.  Well that "thing" has expanded into clothes in general.  I think she believes the world's a stage and she is on it.  Or she thinks that she is the host of an awards show and needs to undergo numerous "costume" changes over the course of a day (or an hour).  Anybody's clothes are fair game, which amounts to some rather humorous results.  When laundry is out and waiting to be folded (just about every day, several times a day), it's like a shopping spree for Kara.  I think my favorite look was when she was fully clothed, but had several pairs of other people's underwear over her outfit.  I'm sure we'll see that on all the runways in Paris come the spring.  FYI, we don't let her go out in public like that.  We already have mountains of blackmail material on the WTs.  We are all looking forward to using said material.  Like, say...on their wedding days???

This next story I can only remotely blame on a twin, but mostly it's on me.  Actually I've been blaming flies (my new analogy for sin) because no one likes them anyway.  As I was getting lunch ready the other day, the WTs were in the backyard playing.  Every few minutes it seemed, one of them had to come inside for one reason or another.  Of course opening the door is way easier than closing the door (apparently), and so the door was constantly being left open.  Flies took that as a personal invitation to invade my house, which they did most readily.

When feeding the kids, I set up their plates assembly line style and then put them on the table.  With the flies swarming about, I couldn't leave the plates on the table unattended.  Since I was right at the stove, heating something up, I placed the plates around the stove, inadvertently obscuring my view of the stove knobs.  Wanting to turn the heat up on my soup, I peeked between the plates and saw the word "left" and assumed it was for the burner I was using.  People, sometimes it's a really bad idea to assume.

I kept smelling something odd as I put the finishing touches on the plates.  I figured something spilled on the heat element in the toaster oven and that's why it smelled.  About the time I checked my soup and noticed it wasn't bubbling like it ought to have been, a flame shot up behind my pan.  Instantly I realized I had turned the wrong burner to "high."  With one hand I turned off the burner, with the other hand I started beating down the flame with a towel.  As soon as I had it out, it flared up again.  I realized that what was burning was a melted Tupperware (it HAD to be expensive Tupperware, not the use and toss Ziploc lids, which I never toss and so they are multiplying like rabbits in my cabinet) lid which was on a metal burner cover, which was on another metal burner cover (metal is a great conductor of heat if you didn't know).  I whirled around to find the tongs I had seen the WTs playing with and of course in that instant, even with the heat turned off, the flame shot up again.  Once I got the tongs I removed the flaming burning cover, put out the flame, and then removed the other burner cover.  I at least thought to scrape some of the melted rubber off the cover before it cooled.  I failed to turn the cover over and see the mound of melted plastic that very quickly solidified onto my nice expensive cobalt blue burner cover.  And wouldn't you know, NO ONE was around to watch my heroic handling of this disaster.  I am usually tripping over people getting in my way while I prepare meals.  Not this time.  Talk about anti-climactic.  Anyway, I still blame it all on the flies.

How are flies like sin? They are really easy to let in, really hard to get out, and they cause consequences far beyond what you would expect.  And they're really yucky.

By the way Nov. 6 is Orphan Sunday.  For more info you can go to www.orphansunday.org or one of my favorite organization's sites www.showhope.org   Remember that there are millions of orphans out there, but it only takes one person to make a change in the life of an orphan.  Here are two good videos, both using the same song, but worth watching.  I just dare you to not shed tears when watching the second one. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAEkZFll-xU&noredirect=1

This one has clips of real "gotcha" moments, when families are united with their children.  We are eagerly eagerly awaiting our second gotcha moment!

Go to this site and click on "When Love takes you in"
http://www.showhope.org/Resources/VideoLibrary/tabid/122/modId/540/LCPage/2/eType/ALL/LCTag/ALL/Default.aspx

1 comment: