Ephesians 1:5

"He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will."

Friday, December 31, 2010

Online shopping with WTs and the funny thing about tissues

I thought I might get some online shopping done while the WTs (wonder twins for you newbies) were still conscious.  The three OS (older siblings for those of you have forgotten) were with the dad.  I know you’re all saying, “Are you kidding? You thought you’d get something done with the WTs  at full power?”  Yeah well, I was in my happy place when I had the idea…a little state I call DENIAL. 

 First off, let me say that it would have gone a lot more smoothly if my online shopping experience hadn’t been like an Abbott and Costello “Who’s on First?”  routine.  To the shopping cart, back to the homepage, to the shopping cart, etc.

 I thought I was off to a good start – twins were fed and watered and well rested, toys enough to rival FAO Shwartz.  What more could they want?

 I stationed myself with the laptop at the kitchen table so I’d be close to whatever action would transpire.  The first action took place right where I was.  One little hand reached up to grab a full cup of water that one of the OS had left behind.  There it went, spilling on the table (thankfully away from the laptop) and cascading onto the floor (okay that was a wee bit dramatic…maybe it just ran down onto the floor), forming a nice little puddle in which the WTs could stomp.  As I cleaned up the water spill, one of the WTs got a hold of a box of goldfish and did a gravity experiment.  Hmm, if I hold the box upside down and shake really hard (even harder when I see my mom lunging for me) it rains goldfish!

With the goldfish and the water cleaned up, I resumed my date with Amazon.  The WTs had wandered into the other room which I thought was great.  It was lovely, it was so quiet and…wait a minute, why is it quiet???? When I went to investigate, I saw the two of them tearing through Daniel’s school box.  It had all the contraband items: pencils, crayons, scissors, etc.  I could see that Micah had already been hard at work on his wall of many colors.  Oh, have I not blogged about that yet? Oh yeah, I only blog about once a year!  You see, Micah has this magical ability to find any writing implements, particularly markers, that have been left behind.  As soon as we think we have removed all the markers from his reach, he finds a rogue marker.  Fulfilling his creative desires, he goes to one spot on one wall and makes lines with said marker.  Sometimes the marker can be removed (though I discovered that even washable markers make the paint come off when you clean the markings), other times it cannot.  This time he did not use a marker, but branched out into another medium: pencil sketching.

 I picked up the items from Daniel’s box (with the WTs help, they enjoy picking things up almost as much as dumping things out) and went back to the laptop.  The WTs would wander through, and I would just make a mental note of where they were.  I glanced up one time to see Kara walking around with no pants.  When I found her pants it was a signal to Kara that a game was afoot.  She shrieked with laughter at the sight of me with her pants and tore off in the opposite direction.  Believe you me, this is not the same child who just months ago had the drunken sailor walk.  She takes off at warp speed when she is being pursued.

 Okay, children are fully clothed, back to the computer.  I was making good headway and must have been concentrating a bit too hard on what I was doing.  I knew the WTs were in the family room and that they were having a grand time doing something.  Like silence, the eruption of giggles is also like a warning siren.  I glanced up from the computer to watch the WTs orchestrate a new gymnastic maneuver.  They would climb onto an end table, flip over onto the couch, run across the couch and roll off in an impressive dismount.  There are times in which I wish I could pretend I did not see things, this was one of them.  But it is my job to be a killjoy, so I put their acrobatic careers on hold.

 After all that exercise, the WTs wanted a snack.  They love to sit at the kitchen table on the “big chairs”, which they are allowed to do from time to time.  Since they were just having a snack, I sat each one in a chair with a cup of, well, goldfish.  Each was grinning from ear to ear and seemed very content.  Micah began to scan the table and spotted a ziplock bag of cereal.  He grabbed it and began to shake it.  I wasn’t too concerned; the bag was sealed after all.  Well, don’t you know, a well sealed bag is a lot like a balloon.  If you squeeze it really hard, it pops.  And when this bag popped, it rained cereal.  This of course thrilled the WTs who instantly went to work speading the cereal crumbs (the cereal became crumbs after all that shaking) as far and wide as they could.  I sighed, closed the laptop, cleaned the spill, and sat down with a WT on each leg and read books.  I can’t prove it, but that might have just been their plan all along.

 On a different subject, I made a discovery about tissues (Kleenex for those of you into name brands).  I walked in on the WTs one day to find Kara in a sea of tissues.  She looked rather angelic, as though she were sitting on a fluffy cloud.  As always, once the WTs see me, they know the jig is up and will go into high gear.  Kara began furiously ripping the tissue to shreds.  Micah was standing on the couch and began to throw tissues behind the couch, presumably to hide the evidence.  As I approached him, he clambered down, grabbed two fistfuls of tissue and ran down the hall looking like he was shaking tissue pom-poms.  When I gathered all that remained intact, I made my discovery: tissues expand when exposed to air.  Do you know how I know? When I tried to put the tissue back into the box, it wouldn’t all fit!  I could only conclude that when they are taken out of the box they interact with the air and puff out.  Just tell everyone you heard it here first.

 Now on a more “serious” note, people often ask me how Kara is doing with her language.  She is doing wonderfully.  I would list out all the words she knows, but they are too numerous at this point.  She is very good at copying what you say and likes to try out new words.  Her newest acquisition is “a-tood.”  Her brother was having a bad attitude and I told her so as he sat in the corner.  She’d point at him and say “a-tood.”  Somehow I doubt she’ll use that one on herself.

 Happy New Year all!  

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment